Getting a driving licence

Getting a driving licence in the EU

To get an EU driving licence you must:

Usual residence

You must apply for a licence in the country where you usually or regularly live. As a general rule, it is the country where you live for at least 185 days each calendar year because of personal or work-related ties.

If you have personal/work-related ties in 2 or more EU countries, your place of usual residence is the place where you have personal ties, as long as you go back regularly. You don’t need to meet this last condition if you are living in an EU country to carry out a task for a fixed period of time.

If you move to another EU country to go to college or university, your place of usual residence doesn’t change. However, you can apply for a driving licence in your host country if you can prove you have been studying there for at least 6 months.

Minimum age requirements

To get a driving licence you need to meet the following minimum age requirements. However, in some EU countries, these may be higher or lower or there may be some additional requirements. There are no upper age limits for holding a driving licence. You can keep it as long as you are medically fit to drive, as attested by your doctor.

AgeLicence type
16Mopeds, category AM Light motorcycles, category A1 Quadricycles, category B1
18Standard motorcycles, category A2 In general, to apply for a category A2 licence, you need at least 2 years of experience on a motorcycle at category A1. Alternatively, you can access directly at a higher minimum age, which is usually 24 years. Cars, category B, BE Medium-sized vehicles, category C1, C1E
20Heavy motorcycles, category A In general, to apply for a category A licence, you need at least 2 years of experience at category A2. Alternatively, you can access directly at a higher minimum age, which is usually 24 years.
21Large vehicles, category C, CE Minibuses, category D1, D1E
24Buses, category D, DE

Minimum medical requirements

Before issuing you with a driving licence, the relevant authorities will check your medical fitness to drive. You may also have to undergo a medical check each time you renew your driving licence or after you reach a certain age. If you are a lorry or bus driver, you must have a medical check-up every 5 years.

Driving test and examiners

There are no EU wide rules on driver training, driving schools or driving instructors. There are however minimum EU standards for:

  • the driving test – You need to pass both a practical test and a theory test
  • the driving examiners – They must successfully complete a training program and be subject to periodic quality assurance and training .

If you meet all the necessary requirements you will be issued with an EU standard format driving licence – a plastic, credit card-sized photo card, with special security features and available in all EU countries since 2013.

Find out more about driving licences models issued before 2013 which are currently still valid, what they look like, their security features and the entitlements and vehicle categories listed on them.

Country-specific information

Check the rules for getting a driving licence in the country where you live, find information on driver training and testing, age and medical fitness requirements:

For more information on Getting a driving licence online kindly message us

Back to Top
error: Content is protected !!
Product has been added to your cart